Thursday, July 8, 2010

Buenos Dias!



I decided to start a blog this summer! Love to cook, and love to eat! I've been on a Mexican food craze lately since our trip to San Antonio. Don Pedro's is excellent (yum, homemade tamales!), and we enjoyed Boudro's on the Riverwalk as well - tableside guacamole!

One thing I love about cooking Mexican food is that its so colorful! Love cooking with fresh veggies and herbs. On the right - I've prepped what I needed for some fresh guac.

Other happenings this week:


I made Tyler Florence's Roasted Green Chile-Chicken Enchiladas.. first time to make enchiladas. Labor-intensive!! Hint - make sure you broil those poblano peppers well-done because otherwise its almost impossible to peel! I had a TERRIBLE time trying to roll these suckers up like cigars - they'd fall apart in my hands after I dipped in my green chile. I think they tasted ok.. My husband likes them a lot!


Another recipe that I tried this week was Smoky Shredded Pork Tacos from Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen. These were quite labor-intensive too! It calls for 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce - I put in 3, and it was bordering on too spicy for me! I had seen another web article calling this filling "picadillo." The quickie blurb from Wikipedia says, " Picadillo is a traditional dish in many Latin AmericanPhilippines (where it is known as giniling). It is made with ground meat (usually beef), tomatoes (tomato sauce It is often served with rice or used as a filling in dishes such as tacos, savoury pastries or croquettes. The name comes from the Spanish word "picar," which means "to mince" or "to chop"." countries and the may be used as a substitute), and other ingredients that vary by region.


So, I remembered in my old Mexican cookbook that I got a few years ago off EBay, there was a curious recipe for picadillo that was meant to fill the tamales (I had learned how to make tamales from this book). So naturally, I had to make some to get rid of my extra batches of raisins. Oh man, this one was fast and sooooo good - and quite fragrant as well. Very simple - in a large saucepan, with a tablespoon of olive oil - saute 1 lb ground beef, 2 cloves of garlic chopped, and half an onion chopped - until meat is brown. Then add in diced 1/2 lb peeled tomatoes, 1 peeled apple chopped, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/8 tsp of cumin and cinnamon each. I think you need a chopped up pickled jalapeno as well. And cook uncovered x 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Of note, those refried beans are CANNED :) However, I did make the guac!

I tried imitating Boudro's... the collected ingredients are in the first image on this blog. There are several recipes online that try to replicate the tableside guac. For some reason, it didn't come out as tart. Perhaps I need to pick a more tart orange than large-navel. I had also broiled the roma tomatoes - they are sooo fragrant post-broiling! YUM!



Well thats all I have for now. Can't cook more Mexican - been buying corn tortillas, cilantro and peppers... DAILY. I have so many obscure canned and frozen and dried chili peppers now that are left-over. Perhaps for another time!

¡Buen Apetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment