
Well, I missed the Oktoberfest this year because I was working, but I have had a month long urge to make some Bratwurst! Coincidentally, the local Sprouts was having a European sausage sale, and I had a whole bunch of potatoes... so time for some German food! Of note, I don't particularly like German food, but gosh this bratwurst from Sprouts is REALLY good!
On the left is the bratwurst - $2.99/lb! 4 sausages was a little bit over a pound.
But first, had to make the sides. Thought I would make German potato salad. I still haven't had a German side dish that I've liked, but this one looked easy?
So today I discovered that German food with bacon is just as bad as Mexican food with lard hehehe. So this is the salad


dressing base on the right hand side. THAT is BACON FAT! all bacon fat. On the far right is the transformation to the dressing by adding white wine vinegar, flour, and sugar. Mmmm so healthy.

Tada! German potato salad. Were I to make this again, I would definitely have cut the potato into smaller pieces. And cooked the potato for longer. The recipe I used is here:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/German-Potato-Salad/Detail.aspxNext onto the bratwurst.

This really took forever. The instructions I followed called for simmering the sausages in water COVERED until the water evaporated... Well, I eventually uncovered it and poured some water out. Then I browned it, added some onions, browned those and put in a whole cup of Heineken beer to simmer. Got some jarred Sauerkraut from the store, and this is my German meal:

Guten Appetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment